Sunday 16 June 2013

Kato's Level Reviews

Over at LBPCentral , one creator has been building a name for himself as one of the best level reviewers around . His in depth reviews , all done in his own unique style have proved to be an invaluable source of feedback . Of course I am talking about Kato , and LBPHiddenMoon are very happy to announce that he has agreed to join the team and bring his reviews to this site .

All levels will be judged on the following criteria . as Kato explains ...

1. Navigation - One of my pet peeves is not knowing where to go . Figuring out platforms is fine and all , but only if the destination is obvious . Few things irk me more than being shot off a bounce pad with the level expecting me to grab something as I flail helplessly towards a wall of spikes I didn't see coming . Infinite lives are fine, but I need to be able to navigate the level without NEEDING infinite lives .

2. Visual - Not every level is going to be an incredible work of art , and I don't expect it to be. I still take a look at design to make sure it's more than just cardboard and wood though . ( Unless that's the whole idea of the level . )

3. Sound - I love music but I'm not an expert. I mainly just check that sounds you have are appropriate for the environment etc . Or if its a music gallery , I'll review your tunes here. : )

4. Gadgetry - Everyone can make a circle and put a bolt on it , and half the time that's the extent of my clever platforming in my own levels XD . But now and again I sit back and take stock of the varied logic put into devices . Not every level needs to be a giant machine . Even little things like an elevator that stops on every floor is awesome . The point is , does your level have more interesting things than a few wobble-bolted platforms , or spikes on pistons ?

5. Glitch Abuse - Now I don't claim to know every glitch, but I know some people spend large amounts of time and effort exploiting 3D objects, over sized or undersized checkpoints, invisible spikes, and other things which they really had to monkey around with to get to work . Little Big Planet's story levels don't use these glitches, so a level should never have to RELY upon them . Can they spice up a level ? Yes definitely . But I can't rightly judge a level based on how well you can exploit the system , so I have to take that into account.

6. Story - Not every level is going to have a story . I realize this . Sometimes solidly fun platforming makes up for it. But if you do have a story .... I'd like to understand what's going on .

So , calling all creators . If you would like to have your work reviewed and featured on this site , now is your chance . All you need to do is send us the following .

  • Creator Name
  • Level Name
  • Level Link
Send this info to LBPSneakPeeks@gmail.com , post it to us on Twitter or leave a comment below .

There are only a few caveats .

  • All levels must be new levels . This means under one month old .
  • All levels must be on the LBP2 format .
  • All levels must be finished , This isn't a beta test .
  • No levels that have received an MM Pick will be considered . If a level gets picked after being reviewed but before posting , that is okay .
  • Submitting a level doesn't guarantee that it will be reviewed or featured .

I just have to say one last thing . Kato's reviews are honest . There is no guarantee that your level will get a positive review . If you are not able to take constructive criticism then you should probably think twice .

No comments:

Post a Comment